Friday, November 4, 2011

Timing it Just Right

Conditions in the mountains can change fast. I was talking to some friends who went one week later than I did to photograph the aspens on the east side. In just a week most of the peak color and leaves were gone. It got me thinking about how timing can be everything when it comes to getting good pics. Of course there's also a good bit of skill and what I like to call the artist's eye that comes into play. But getting places as the right time is so key to getting that dramatic image we want.  I often find myself chasing the light.

It's amazing how quick things can change in an hour or just a few minutes.  When a storm rolls in I'll often check the web cams and Yosemite Conservancy. The one at Sentinal Dome can be spectacular. This little gif animation was made this morning by copying images every 2 or three minutes from that web cam.

While having my morning coffee and reading the news I'd check the web cam copy and paste the image into Photoshop. It was amazing to watch the changes of light and clouds interacting with Half Dome.

These were taken from around 7:30 AM to 8:30AM. You can tell the start of the animation from the 1 second hold on the first image at 7:30. It's kind of a poor man's time lapse. But I wanted to share just quickly conditions can change.

Some folks may like the light and clouds at one moment better than the other. It comes down to personal taste.

Here's a shot from 11:00AM  Still a pretty amazing image. It takes me about an hour and a half to two hours to get to the Yosemite valley floor. Add another 45 minutes if I want to get to Glacier Point.


This time of season work is slow so I have the time to go there but not the money for gas. Heck if I could I'd be in that park every day.  Right now I'm wondering just how many leaves came down with this storm. Is Fall over or is there still a chance to get some good leaf color?

I've allotted myself one day trip into the park before I have to leave next Friday for a week of taking care of biz down in San Diego. So I'm all anxious wondering whether the weather is going to be best tomorrow or if I should just head for the Park today.

Here's an older shot I took of a Sunrise from Glacier Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment